In the business world, a lack of writing skills can make or break you. I read over an article recently titled ’12 Tips for Better Business Writing’ and it was very informative. The author of this article confessed that most business people don’t have much experience writing. Writing isn’t stressed when you’re getting a business degree in the same way it would be with a law degree.
They say that less is more. Get your point across quickly. Be concise. Besides, we are in a time of busy, busy, busy! People are on a move and don’t have time for business written soliloquys! Remember to include the who, what, when, where and why’s and be done with it.
They discourage jargon. Avoid the fancy schmancy. People tend to lose sight of what you’re trying to convey when you use jargons.
Watch the names, titles and genders to insure that you aren’t offending anyone. Be professional but not too formal. People want to know that there’s a comfort level so that there’s a connection. Just know your boundaries. For example, in high school, I had a friend that my parents told, “Make yourself at home.” They stated it to be polite and to make her feel comfortable. But, when she kicked off her shoes and went into the refrigerator, they raised an eyebrow.
Get it right once and keep it right. In my position, I have to send out the same email on a daily basis. So, I created templates/form letters so that I can just cut/paste what I need. Not only does it save time but it gives you the confidence that you have an error-free letter/email.
Proofread, proofread and, when you’re done, proofread some more. It’s nothing more embarrassing than noticing your own mistakes once it’s out of your hands. If you’re still unsure about your writing content, you should contact a freelancer to be your second set of eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment