About 10 years ago, I decided to go on an introspective journey. The focus of this journey was to improve my self-worth and, in doing so, I created some personal affirmations. You’re smart. You treat people like you want to be treated. You think before you act. You’re talented. But, let me tell you what I noticed. I ended up writing 15 affirmations and they took me 2 or 3 days to complete them. It wasn’t that I didn’t have anything to improve or didn’t see my personal talent. I had trouble complimenting myself. It’s just awkward, I think.
Now, I’m not sure what brought about this overabundance of modesty. But, I can tell you that it stints your process in the business arena. Just think about it. You’re selling yourself on a resume but you’re afraid to compliment yourself. The employer might look at your resume and say, “Well, if he/she doesn’t believe it, then why should I?”
That’s why this article I just read came in handy. It’s called ‘Writing About Ourselves: Bragging Without Blushing’. The article suggests that the discomfort in writing about self might come from childhood. You may have been taught that modesty is more attractive.
But, there is a time when personal complimenting in writing is appropriate. Some of those areas are self-appraisals, resumes, cover letters, proposals and bios. The article mentions that you need to be convincing about your strengths, use specific examples, use numbers, be forthright, use the word ‘I’, give relevant information, explain your value and enlist the help of a friend to prove it all.
The purpose of these forms of business writing is to persuade—and you persuade with your gifts. They need to know what you are bringing to the table.
No comments:
Post a Comment